Panzanella Salad – Malibu Beach Recovery Diet
Serves 4 to 6
- 5 cups cubed crusty bread
- 6 medium tomatoes, cored and sliced
- 2 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup basil leaves, torn
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Arrange the bread cubes on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake until dried out but not toasted, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool.
Toss the tomatoes with 1 tsp salt in a colander. Let stand 20 minutes, discarding any juices that drain out.
Whisk together the olive oil and the vinegar in a large bowl. Add the bread, tomatoes, onions and basil. Toss to thoroughly coat. Season with remaining salt and pepper.